Best Size for a website
Nowadays it is hard to define the best size for a website because of the responsiveness nature. Before the website width were based on the popular screen size.
Fortunately responsive sites have helped a lot to solve this.
History of screen sizes:
- 1024 by 768 most popular up to 2012,
- 1366 by 768 has now take over
- See the dotted line (other), which is where responsive sites come into play.
Responsive is the way to go:
- It is popular than ever before,
- It allows one to design a website that displays full width on any screen size.
Disadvantages of Responsive site:
- Sidebars are moved below the main content which reduces their visibility, thus reducing the earnings, (If you placed the ads there).
- On small screen sizes, one has to decide first on which content to show most
In conclusion, responsive design works well for the layout that does not have the sidebars.